GARDENA, CA — Due to some issues with photos of the winning student projects, we’re rather late publishing photos of the presentation luncheon for our Third Annual Manzanar Committee Student Awards Program, a creative works program in which K-12 students may submit essays, short stories, poetry, works of art, including drawings, collages, posters, and works involving technology, including animation, podcasts, movies, or videos.
The awards program recognizes students who demonstrate an understanding of his/her guiding principles of social justice in today’s society.
This year’s winners are:
- Emma Cho, Kindergarten, Playa Vista Elementary School, Los Angeles Unified School District. First Place (Grades Pre-K-Kindergarten). Category: Visual Arts/Individual.
- Emily Ota, Third Grade, Concordia Elementary School, Capistrano Unified School District. First Place (Grades 3-5). category: Visual Arts/Individual.
- Sharon Choi. Fifth Grade, Gonsalves Elementary School, ABC Unified School District. First Place (Grades 3-5). Category: Written/Individual.
- Sara Omura, Fifth Grade, Gonsalves Elementary School, ABCUSD. First Place (Grades 3-5). Category: Technology/Electronic Media.
- Monicka Manni, Fifth Grade, Gonsalves Elementary School, ABCUSD. Second Place (Grades 3-5). Category: Written/Individual.
- Victoria Yang and Hazel Quach, Fifth Grade, Monterey Vista Elementary School, Garvey School District. First Place (Grades 3-5). Category: Written/Group.
- Kieran Ota, Sixth Grade, Shorecliffs Middle School, Capistrano Unified School District. First Place (Grades 6-8). Category: Visual Arts/Individual.
- Valerie Wu, 11th Grade, Presentation High School, Diocese of San Jose. First Place (Grades 9-12). Category: Written/Individual.
Congratulations to our winners and thank you to all who participated in our annual Student Awards program and to those who have supported the program with donations of cash and other items.
Below are the (belated) photos from the awards presentation luncheon, held on May 18, 2018, at the Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute.
LEAD PHOTO: Some of the winners of the Third Annual Manzanar Committee Student Awards Program. Photo: Gann Matsuda/Manzanar Committee.
Third Annual Manzanar Committee Student Awards Luncheon
39 photos. 30 photos by Gann Matsuda/Manzanar Committee. Photos of the award-winning entries by Jenny Chomori/Manzanar Committee. Click on any photo to view a larger image and to scroll through the gallery.
The Manzanar Committee’s Official web site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Manzanar Committee Official web site – Licensing and Copyright Information.