LOS ANGELES — It’s been a little over two weeks since the 48th Annual Manzanar Pilgrimage and the 2017 Manzanar At Dusk program, held on Saturday, April 29, 2017.
As we noted previously, more than 2,000 people attended the Pilgrimage and approximately 550 participating in the Manzanar At Dusk program, shattering the previous attendance record of 360.
Our professional photo essay from the Pilgrimage from Mark Kirchner and Geri Ferguson is forthcoming. We have posted some amateur photographs from the events. Video from the events is also forthcoming.
This year’s Pilgrimage and Manzanar At Dusk programs drew unprecedented media coverage, including reporters from print, radio, television and various web sites. In addition, a record number of documentary filmmakers were present.
The following is the media coverage from that weekend.
- Consul General of Japan (San Francisco)
- From Remembrance to Resistance: The 48th Manzanar Pilgrimage
- Manzanar Pilgrimage Theme: “Never Again, to Anyone, Anywhere”
- Muslim American Manzanar Pilgrimage Finds Parallels Between Internment, Modern Day
- “Never Again, To Anyone, Anywhere:” Fuller Takes Pilgrimage To Manzanar National Historic Site
- Painful Pilgrimage To Manzanar Fuels Former Internees’ Resolve
- Pilgrimage to Manzanar
- Remembering Japanese-American Internment Camps
- Why Remembering Japanese-American Internment Really Matters This Year
Rafu Shimpo Coverage
- Trump Concerns Dominate 48th Manzanar Pilgrimage
- Manzanar Archaeologist Wins Cultural Resource Award
KCRW – Santa Monica, California (National Public Radio)
KTVN – Reno: Stories From Manzanar
LEAD PHOTO: From left: Sahar Pirzada, traci kato-kiriyama, Kathy Masaoka) and traci ishigo performed a powerful, inspiring poem during the 48th Annual Manzanar Pilgrimage. Photo: Gann Matsuda/Manzanar Committee.
The Manzanar Committee’s Official web site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may copy, distribute and/or transmit any story or audio content published on this site under the terms of this license, but only if proper attribution is indicated. The full name of the author and a link back to the original article on this site are required. Photographs, graphic images, and other content not specified are subject to additional restrictions. Additional information is available at: Manzanar Committee Official web site – Licensing and Copyright Information.